Wednesday 26 September 2012

The First Day


So, Monday August 2nd 2010 had arrived! I had made my lunch, packed my healthy snacks and my gym bag and set off for work. After my induction with Joe the day before I was sore but excited to be going to the gym that night to do my programme for the first time.

That day in the office was like any other day, with a concentrated effort to drink at least 2 litres of water and to drink less coffee. For a caffeine addict like me, that's pretty hard to do. So, I was making my 4th coffee of the day, the last one I was “allowed” and there was a bit of an accident with the kettle - I managed to get my arm in the way of the steam, and gave myself what would turn out to be a pretty horrendous burn. Now, the Viv from last week probably would have gone home miserable and not gone to the gym! But I was determined and even though I'd spent the whole afternoon crying (I respond terribly to an adrenaline rush like that, and burns hurt horribly enough to make me cry - a lot), I went to the gym.

Joe was covering reception, and I showed him the burn! He looked worried. He gave me a bandage to put over it while I worked out. I was pretty miserable, but we laughed over how he only had an eye patch, and how my arm was now a pirate. He cheered me up and off I went to do my workout, still sore from the day before. I wasn't going to let anything stop me this time, I'd made my mind up and this was happening, burnt arm or not!

I had bought myself some workout trousers from Asda, not very flattering at all, but at £3 a pair, I decided that they were good enough and I had no intention for them to fit for very long. I also wore one of Guy's Everton (I know, right!!) training tops - Extra Large. I wanted to hide as much as possible from everyone else in the gym. Although I was under no illusion that it made me look any smaller, I felt that hiding under this huge top would hide the “jiggle” and I just hoped that no-one would notice me.

The gym was busy, a lot busier than the day before. Obviously Monday is the day everyone hits the gym the hardest before they lose the will by Friday! Walking through the weights area was even more daunting this time, due to the large number of enormous men. I just remember thinking, keep your head down, and no-one will notice! It turns out, that those enormous men are actually lovely! And have since become friends of mine! Just goes to show, you can't judge a book by its cover.

I worked my way through my programme, and chuckled to myself at the little stick men Joe had drawn. They were great, and good for reminding me what to do for a certain exercise! It was hard, but I left feeling very proud of myself!

Every day that week I went to the gym, DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) or not. Guy and I had planned a weekend away in Amsterdam and I was worried about the break in routine so soon after starting. Worried I'd never go back, worried I'd stay fat forever, and get even fatter! Despite walking around 10 hours each day, I was also worried about the bad food I'd eaten while away!

Upon our return, I was delighted to discover that I was in no way “out of the habit” of going to the gym and was back there straight away- it had only been the weekend, so really there shouldn't have been any doubt! That pretty much confirmed it for me - I was hooked!

Next time, I tell of the difficulties I faced, as have many of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment